Assessing the state of skills in your organisation
In my previous post I mentioned a service that Global Knowledge offers to help organisations quickly and easily capture information about the skills of their employees.
This is QuickAssess, a web-based service that we provide in partnership with Lexonis, which allows you to capture employee skills information, analyse the results and then use the information to acquire or develop the skills you need.
So what does it involve? This simple diagram explains the process:
1. Define skills
This activity normally takes place upstream of the gap analysis. You decide what skills you need now or will need in the future
- 2. Define skills profiles
The skills profile takes the overall set of skills and refines that into a set of capabilities required for each role. With that information, and the reporting structure in your organisation, we can populate QuickAssess with the information to allow the assessment to take place
- 3. Choose job title
For the individual it is then a simple task for them to select the job that they do. This associates them with the skill profile for that particular role.
- 4. Choose team
Selecting the team identifies which manager they report to, and who will be responsible for validating their assessment.
- 5. Self-assess skills
Core skills for the role are displayed and employees indicate their level of proficiency. In addition, they can add further non-core skills from the wider framework should they so wish.
- 6. Validate skills
Once the self-assessment is complete, the employee’s line manager will be notified and they review and validate the assessment, perhaps discussing any over or under assessment of capability with the individual.
- 7. Generate reports
Once the information is in the system, reports can be generated that allow considered analysis of the skills data.
- 8. Analyse results
We provide a Microsoft Excel Analysis workbook to each client to allow for analysis of the information.
We offer six ’off-the-shelf’ reports:
- Organisational capability – a report showing how many people have each skill and their degree of proficiency; colour coding highlights areas of strength and weakness
- Competency gaps — a report showing the average skill gap for each skill and category; drill-down provides information on individual employees
- Employee gap analysis — a report showing skill gaps for an individual employee
- Organisational learning plan — a report showing learning and development requirements based on skill gaps across the organisation
- Employee learning plan – a report highlighting the development needs for an individual based on their skill gaps
- Resource finder – a report that shows all employees who meet specific criteria – ideal for filling vacancies or staffing projects
In addition, the full set of raw data is included so that organisations with suitable expertise can manipulate the information as they need. And all report data can be updated quickly and easily using Microsoft web services so that you can be sure each report contains the most up-to-date information.
Our service will help you to capture employee skill and competency assessments, analyse gaps, assign people with the right competencies on projects and create competency-based learning programs in line with business strategy.
Ultimately it means that you have better utilisation of employee competencies, more efficient use of your training budget and improved staff retention, and a fitter, more agile and competitive workforce…
For more information call us on 0118 912 1939 or email firstname.lastname@example.org